TITLE: Pastoral Minister
PARISH: St. Luke the Evangelist Parish, Lakewood, Ohio
SUPERVISOR’S TITLE: Pastor
STATUS: Full Time, exempt with flexible hours
The Church of St. Luke the Evangelist in Lakewood, Ohio, in the Diocese of Cleveland, is seeking a full time Pastoral Minister. The successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, organization, implementation and continual evaluation of parish pastoral programming. The hired person will work closely with the Pastor and the rest of the pastoral staff to support the needs of parish families and to lead them ever deeper into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
Preferred – Bachelor’s Degree or above in Theology or Pastoral Ministry, and a minimum of three years of experience in parish pastoral ministry.
Minimum – Successful experience with faith formation programming and pastoral ministry.
1. The candidate must be an active and practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Catholic Church.
2. On fire for leading others into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
3. A vibrant and inviting person with a personal and communal faith expression.
4. Excellent communication skills, organizational skills, and the ability to work collaboratively with volunteers and parish staff.
5. The ability to work well independently as well as with others.
6. A self-starter with a high level initiative, judgement and discretion.
7. A respect for the dignity and sanctity of each person they encounter.
8. Ability to work effectively with people of all ages.
9. A working knowledge of Information Technology and Social Media is recommended.
1. Work in collaboration with the Pastor and Parish Staff in realizing the pastoral goals of the Parish and the Diocese of Cleveland.
2. Assess pastoral needs, plan, design, implement and evaluate a comprehensive vision for parish pastoral programs.
3. Assist in the formation of and scheduling of liturgical ministers (Lectors, Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, Ushers, and Greeters).
4. Assist in the planning and implementation of special liturgies (Communal Anointing, All Souls Mass of Remembrance, etc.).
5. Promote full, conscious active participation in the liturgical and sacramental life of the Church in a manner that respects inter-cultural and inter-generational diversity.
6. A visible presence at weekend Masses.
7. Work with and act as a liaison to a variety of parish groups and ministries.
8. Welcome new parishioners to the Parish and encourage their participation in the various ministries of the parish.
9. Work closely with the Welcoming Ministry to follow up with new parishioners and to plan new parishioner events.
10. Meet with families for funeral planning and follow up with bereavement support.
11. Direct pastoral services for individuals suffering from illness, grief, or spiritual crisis.
12. Plan and implement parish events and gatherings.
13. Plan and facilitate parish retreats.
14. Provide ministry to older adults and the homebound.
15. Work with the nursing homes and senior buildings within the parish boundaries to
provide pastoral care to the residents.
16. Assist in responding to the needs of the poor and forgotten of the parish.
17. Work closely with the parish Social Action ministry.
18. Stay abreast of trends and best practices in the area of pastoral ministries
19. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to, relational ministry and the
integration of the catechized into full liturgical, missional, and evangelical life of the
20. Perform other duties as needed.
This position requires regular evening and weekend work.
DEADLINE: Resume review will begin April 10, 2021. The position will remain open until filled.
SEND RESUME, COVER LETTER AND THREE REFERENCES BY EMAIL OR REGULAR MAIL TO:
Rev. Kevin P. Elbert
St. Luke the Evangelist Parish
1212 Bunts Road
Lakewood, Ohio 44107