Plan for First Communion in Light of Covid-19
In light of Covid-19, St. Luke the Evangelist is taking precautions to minimize the spread of disease and keep all of our students safe, while still providing quality religious education. That being said, there will be some modifications to the First communion program for the 2020/2021 academic year.
Here is how the will look:
- Sacramental preparation for Reconciliation and First Communion will primarily take place at home.
- As in years past, a parent catechetical enrichment portion of the program will remain. Parents will be given instructions on how to complete this portion during the fall semester via email.
- Theological preparation for the reception of Reconciliation and Holy Communion will primarily take place in PSR (for public school students – which will be at home/virtual) and the local Catholic school (which will take place during as part of their religion curriculum).
- Parents will be given lessons and activities to complete with their child at home, which will complement their theological formation. These lessons and materials will be shared via “a pick up” bag which parents will pick up from the parish office, and email.
- Catechists will be available to assist you through out the year if you have any questions or concerns.
- Information regarding the date for Reconciliation and First Communion can be found on the right hand side of this page by clicking on the calendar button. Please note that these events, and the procedures associated with them, are tentative and subject to change.
St. Luke is committed to assist you in any way that we can. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to Max Hall, Parish Catechetical Leader.
The Holy Eucharist is a sacrament and a sacrifice. In the Holy Eucharist, under the appearances of bread and wine, the Lord Christ is contained, offered, and received. The whole Christ is really, truly, and substantially present in the Holy Eucharist. We use the words “really, truly, and substantially” to describe Christ’s presence in the Holy Eucharist in order to distinguish Our Lord’s teaching from that of mere men who falsely teach that the Holy Eucharist is only a sign or figure of Christ, or that He is present only by His power. It is at the student’s First Communion that he/she receives Christ’s body, blood, soul, and divinity, for the first time.
Reconciliation, therefore, prepares us to receive God’s mercy and forgiveness for our sins. It is through the reception of reconciliation, where Christ is made present through the priest, that our sins are forgiven and our souls are once again made pure and we can then prepare ourselves for the reception of Holy Communion. Reconciliation allows us to once again have that filial relationship with the living God.
For more information please look at the programming handbook in the link to the right.
Students typically begin this process of formation during their 2nd grade year.
- One Child – $80 (ONLY $60 through the 1st week of class)
- Two Children – $95 (ONLY $75 through the 1st week of class)
- Three or more Children – $110 (ONLY $90 through the 1st week of class)
***THERE IS A $20 DISCOUNT ON TUITION UNTIL THE FIRST WEEK OF CLASS.
Cash – If paying with cash please put payment in an envelope indicating the students name and program.
Check – Please make checks payable to St. Luke Church and write the student’s name and program in the memo box.
**Financial Aid is available to families in need. Please contact the Parish Catechetical Leader, Max Hall, to arrange for this.
*** If your child is in the Parish School of Religion (Public School Students in grades 1-8) then there is a separate additional cost. Please refer to the respective program page for tuition costs.
Class Cancellation Policy
If the Lakewood City School cancels school for the day then PSR classes/Sacramental Preparation classes will also be canceled. Should a storm arrive late, or inclement weather is forthcoming a notification will be sent to families via email, Remind text notification, and parish social media accounts. Please check the parish website for updates as well.